This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7547 / 54°45'16"N
Longitude: -1.6403 / 1°38'24"W
OS Eastings: 423250
OS Northings: 540033
OS Grid: NZ232400
Mapcode National: GBR JFZG.PC
Mapcode Global: WHC4P.SR3B
Entry Name: Brandon War Memorial
Listing Date: 15 April 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1433740
Location: Brandon and Byshottles, County Durham, DH7
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Brandon and Byshottles
Built-Up Area: Brandon
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Brandon
Church of England Diocese: Durham
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions.
The memorial stands on the east side of Sawmills Lane. It comprises a tall stone obelisk, square on plan, standing on a slightly tapering plinth. That stands on a square, four-stepped, base. A small Latin cross is carved in low relief on the front face of the obelisk.
The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads IN/ MEMORY/ OF/ OUR HEROES WHO FELL/ IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ ALSO/ 1939 – 1945. The names of those who fell in the First World War are carved into the two side faces. To the rear is carved IN/ REMEMBRANCE OF/ THE FALLEN/ 1939 – 1945 WAR/ AND ALL OTHER/ CONFLICTS SINCE/ WE WILL/ REMEMBER THEM/ (4 NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.
Brandon War Memorial was erected in the cemetery, where it was unveiled on 20 July 1921 by Lt-Col J A Ritson and dedicated by Reverend S R P Moulsdale, Principal of St Chad’s College, Durham. The memorial was designed by the architect Charles Walker and built by John Walker of Alum Waters. It commemorates 14 local servicemen who died during the First World War and was paid for by the villagers along with the Welcome Home Society. In 1989 the dedication for four men who died during the Second World War was added. The memorial was moved to its current location by a team of Royal Engineers, where the memorial was re-dedicated by Mr Ivor Atkinson and Reverend R Stretton.
Brandon War Memorial, which stands on Sawmills Lane, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant Classical obelisk.
Other nearby listed buildings