We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0476 / 55°2'51"N
Longitude: -1.6353 / 1°38'6"W
OS Eastings: 423402
OS Northings: 572632
OS Grid: NZ234726
Mapcode National: GBR KB02.RC
Mapcode Global: WHC3B.VDH7
Plus Code: 9C7W29X7+3V
Entry Name: Brunswick Village War Memorial
Listing Date: 18 April 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1433742
ID on this website: 101433742
Location: Church of St Cuthbert, Brunswick Village, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE13
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Civil Parish: Brunswick
Built-Up Area: Wideopen
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Christ the King
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
Tagged with: Memorial
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands close to the pavement on the south side of Darrell Street, near the east end of St Cuthbert’s Church. It comprises a tall Celtic cross in granite. The front face of the cross head is decorated with ornate interlace carving, below which is carved TO/ THE/ GLORIOUS/ DEAD. The cross shaft rises from a tapering plinth, that stands on a square, two-stepped, base.
The names of the First World War fallen are listed on the front face of the plinth. Below, on the front face of the top step of the base, the principal dedicatory inscription reads ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION/ IN MEMORY OF THE BRAVE MEN OF THIS DISTRICT/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE EUROPEAN WAR/ 1914 – 1918. The east face of the plinth reads 1939 – 1945/ (3 NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 8 February 2017.
Brunswick Village was the settlement serving Dinnington Colliery. The colliery was open from 1867 to 1960. The war memorial was erected in front of the Primary School on Darrell Street, where it was unveiled on 12 March 1921 by Mr RS Barrett (of the Seaton Burn Coal Company, owners of Dinnington Colliery since 1899) and dedicated by Reverend JE Harland. By Messrs WH Endean and Son of Cramlington, the memorial cost £400, raised by public subscription, with a £100 donation from the Seaton Burn Coal Company. It commemorates 52 local servicemen who died during the First World War, and three who fell in the Second World War. The memorial was moved to the opposite side of the road, close to the east end of St Cuthbert’s Mission Church.
WH Endean and Son were responsible for various war memorials in the north-east of England including those at Shiremoor and New Delaval (both Grade II-listed).
Brunswick Village War Memorial, which stands on Darrell Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a tall and imposing Celtic cross.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings