This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0104 / 51°0'37"N
Longitude: -2.0344 / 2°2'3"W
OS Eastings: 397681
OS Northings: 123449
OS Grid: ST976234
Mapcode National: GBR 2Z1.GHB
Mapcode Global: FRA 66MF.WT4
Entry Name: Alvediston War Memorial
Listing Date: 22 March 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1433758
Location: Alvediston, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Alvediston
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Ebbesbourne Wake with Fifield Bavant and Alvediston St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
DESCRIPTION: the c4m high war memorial stands within a small enclosure defined by a yew hedge, on the roadside behind a low iron fence. The memorial itself comprises a wheel-head cross of Chilmark stone set on a square plinth and a two-stepped base. The plinth is inscribed IN MEMORY/ OF/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919 with, on the front face of the step below SERVED/ (7 NAMES). The names of those three men who fell during the Second World War are inscribed upon the front face of the cross-shaft itself.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: two timber posts in the verge protect the memorial from the road. These are not of special interest.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 December 2016.
The memorial, sited on the roadside along The Street, was carved by Gething and Co of Chilmark and was dedicated in 1920. It commemorates those local servicemen who served during the First World War. In 2013 the memorial was repaired and cleaned, and names of those who died in the Second World War were added in the same style and font as the earlier inscription. The memorial was re-dedicated in 2014.
Alvediston War Memorial, located on The Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a well-executed limestone cross;
* Group value: with the adjacent Grade II-listed Cross Cottage.
Other nearby listed buildings