This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0793 / 53°4'45"N
Longitude: -0.2762 / 0°16'34"W
OS Eastings: 515568
OS Northings: 354951
OS Grid: TF155549
Mapcode National: GBR GR4.WJG
Mapcode Global: WHHL0.QVPQ
Entry Name: Billinghay War Memorial
Listing Date: 11 May 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1434868
Location: Billinghay, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4
District: North Kesteven
Civil Parish: Billinghay
Built-Up Area: Billinghay
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Billinghay St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands in the village marketplace, but remodelling of the roads and footpaths in the village was carried out in 2006. The memorial remains in its original location, but now stands on a brick peninsula between two Church Street and Bridge Street.
The memorial is built of Glencoe grey granite with the lowest step of the base in York stone. The memorial has a two-stepped base, square on plan. Rising from this is a two-stage square plinth, with a slightly tapering, rolled, top. On this stands a round column. The base of the column is square with broach-stops on the corners to form an octagonal profile; a wreath is carved in relief on the west-facing side. The top of the column is formed of a carved ring and echinus carved with acanthus leaves. On the top of the column is an elaborate fleur-de-lys, derived from the Lincoln coat of arms.
The upper stage of the plinth is inscribed on three sides with names of those who died in the First World War. The principle dedicatory inscription on the west face reads OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ THIS/ MEMORIAL IS ERECTED BY THE PARISHONERS OF/ BILLINGHAY/ TO THE ENDURING MEMORY OF THE COMRADES/ WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919. Below this dates 1939 – 1945 are carved on the upper surface of the lower stage with the names of those who died during the Second World War on the riser.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the memorial is surrounded by a square railed enclosure. There are white-painted vases at each of the four corners of the memorial’s lowest step and on the paving inside the enclosure. These features are not of special interest.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 January 2017.
Billinghay War Memorial was dedicated on 16 April 1922, commemorating 34 local servicemen and one nurse who died during the First World War. It was built by Frederick William Baldock, monumental mason of Metheringham and was unveiled by Cpl Walter Atkin MM at a ceremony led by local clergy.
Five Second World War names were added after that conflict. In 2009 the memorial was cleaned and additional names from both World Wars were added to it following research by the Royal British Legion; now 44 First and seven Second World War names are commemorated on the memorial. This was carried out at a cost of £1,500 and was funded by the Lincolnshire Co-operative and local donors.
Billinghay War Memorial, which stands in the Market Place, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest; an unusual memorial column in the Classical style.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings