This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8144 / 52°48'51"N
Longitude: -3.0535 / 3°3'12"W
OS Eastings: 329093
OS Northings: 324615
OS Grid: SJ290246
Mapcode National: GBR 73.VNT2
Mapcode Global: WH8B3.2J78
Plus Code: 9C4RRW7W+QJ
Entry Name: Morton War Memorial
Listing Date: 31 May 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1435173
Location: Llanyblodwel, Shropshire, SY10
Civil Parish: Llanyblodwel
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Morton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Cornish silver grey granite.
DESCRIPTION: The memorial is located within the grounds of St Philip and St James churchyard, to the west of the church. It consists of a granite obelisk, square on plan, surmounting a tapering plinth raised on a two-stepped base. Around the base of the memorial is a low, square, kerb filled with chippings.
The plinth has a leaded inscription on its east face which reads PRO PATRIA/ IN HONOUR AND MEMORY/ OF THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ AUG 4TH 1914 – NOV 11TH 1918/ “THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE”. On the other faces of the plinth are listed 20 names grouped by the year of death and the later dedication reading 1939 – 1945/ AT THE GOING DOWN OF/ THE SUN, AND IN THE/ MORNING WE WILL/ REMEMBER THEM/ (2 NAMES).
Morton War Memorial was funded on the basis of public subscriptions. The memorial was erected in 1920 by Lorenza Lewis, for the cost of £161.10s. It was unveiled on the 15 August 1920 by Major Parker Leighton and dedicated by the Bishop of Lichfield, commemorating 20 local servicemen who had died during the First World War.
Funds were raised again in 1922 to provide the kerbing, concreting and chippings. Following the Second World War a further inscription, commemorating two men who died in that conflict, was added. In 2014 a project of repair and conservation was undertaken.
Morton War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Philip and St James, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified memorial obelisk.
Other nearby listed buildings