This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9664 / 50°57'59"N
Longitude: -0.2105 / 0°12'37"W
OS Eastings: 525757
OS Northings: 120078
OS Grid: TQ257200
Mapcode National: GBR JM9.7MG
Mapcode Global: FRA B6FK.CV2
Plus Code: 9C2XXQ8Q+HR
Entry Name: Twineham War Memorial
Listing Date: 14 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1436546
Location: Twineham, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH17
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Twineham
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Albourne, Sayers Common and Twineham
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
First World War memorial. Unveiled by March 1920.
MATERIALS: Petershead pink granite cross, Yorkstone plinth.
DESCRIPTION: Twineham War Memorial stands within a small roadside garden located to the east of the junction between Hickstead Lane and Twineham Lane, formerly known as Slipe Corner in Twineham, West Sussex. The memorial comprises a decorated Celtic cross in pink Petershead granite stone which rises from a Yorkstone plinth. The memorial commemorates the seven men who died in the First World War with incised inscriptions on the west face of the stepped base of the cross. The incised dedication reads FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ TO THE HONOURED AND LASTING/ MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF TWINEHAM/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-19. Below the list of names is the dedication FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 4 October 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was erected in Twineham in memory of the seven named local men who were killed during the First World War.
Twineham War Memorial was proposed in early 1919 and built by B and W Bennett stonemasons. The memorial was paid for by public subscription and the land was donated by Lt. Col. R.W. McKergow who lived at Twineham Grange and whose eldest son is commemorated on the memorial. The memorial was in place by March 1920 and the land then given to the Parish Council.
In 2015 restoration work to clean and repoint the memorial was undertaken.
Twineham War Memorial, situated at the junction between Hickstead and Twineham Lanes, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as an elegant and well-proportioned example of a Celtic cross memorial displaying good quality materials and fine craftsmanship.
Other nearby listed buildings