This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8666 / 50°51'59"N
Longitude: -0.6349 / 0°38'5"W
OS Eastings: 496159
OS Northings: 108338
OS Grid: SU961083
Mapcode National: GBR FHX.N8T
Mapcode Global: FRA 96KT.2H8
Entry Name: Slindon War Memorial
Listing Date: 20 July 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1436576
Location: Slindon, Arun, West Sussex, BN18
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Slindon
Built-Up Area: Slindon
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Slindon St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
First World War memorial, unveiled on 5 March 1921, with further names added after the Second World War.
DESCRIPTION: Slindon War Memorial comprises a tapering stone obelisk rising from a tapering plinth and stepped base. The plinth is inscribed with a dedication to the fallen from the First World War on the front face which reads: ERECTED BY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS/ OF THE VILLAGE CLUB IN MEMORY/ OF ALL WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ THE FOLLOWING ARE NAMES OF MEN FROM/ SLINDON/ (NAMES).
On the step immediately below this is a further inscription which reads: (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Slindon as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The war memorial was designed by Mr A Booker and it commemorates 14 fallen local men. It was dedicated on 5 March 1921.
Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the three fallen of that conflict.
Slindon War Memorial is located to the east of St Mary's church on a small paved area within a garden enclosure demarcated by flint walling and hedges. A memorial garden was created within the enclosure in 1995 and in 2013 the memorial was cleaned and the lettering re-painted with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
Slindon War Memorial, unveiled on 5 March 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified limestone obelisk;
* Group value: with the church of St Mary (Grade I) and listed buildings opposite including Church House and houses on Church Hill (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings