This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.469 / 55°28'8"N
Longitude: -1.8298 / 1°49'47"W
OS Eastings: 410859
OS Northings: 619472
OS Grid: NU108194
Mapcode National: GBR H5N6.NC
Mapcode Global: WHC13.VSVS
Plus Code: 9C7WF59C+H3
Entry Name: Eglingham War Memorial
Listing Date: 28 July 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1436892
Location: Eglingham, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Eglingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Eglingham St Maurice
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands in an enclosure to the north side of the main road through Eglingham, adjacent to the village hall (not listed). Made of stone from Old Denwick Quarry, the memorial takes the form of a wheel-head cross based on the Iona cross. The cross head, and upper portion of the cross shaft are richly ornamented with interlace patters carved in low relief. There are additional panels of knot-work on the sides of the cross shaft.
The cross shaft rises from a pedestal, square on plan, that stands on a plinth. The plinth is raised on a two-stepped, square, base. The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the pedestal reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ IN HONOUR OF THE MEN/ OF THIS PARISH WHO FOUGHT/ AND IN EVER/ GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ OF THOSE WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918.
The 23 commemorated First World War names are recorded on the front face of the plinth. The left-hand face of the pedestal carries the dates 1939 – 1945 with the three Second World War names below on the plinth. Carved into the front face of the upper step of the base is the admonition SEE YE TO IT THAT THESE SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN.
The memorial enclosure is marked by a low stone wall and wrought iron fence to the front, with planting to the rear.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.
Eglingham War Memorial was unveiled on 27 March 1921 by Mrs Sutton-Jones of Roseden Hall: her only son is commemorated on the memorial. The memorial was designed by Messrs Thomas Watson of Alnwick and sculpted by John E Watson. It commemorates 23 local servicemen who died in the First World War. The memorial cross, wrought iron railings, and the yew hedge cost c£140 whilst the plot of land with given to the village, at a peppercorn rent, by Sir Thomas Milvain. Following the Second World War the names of two men and one woman who died in that conflict were added.
Eglingham War Memorial, which stands on the north side of the B6346 adjacent to the village hall, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a richly ornamented cross in the early medieval style.
Other nearby listed buildings