This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.2963 / 55°17'46"N
Longitude: -1.7111 / 1°42'40"W
OS Eastings: 418441
OS Northings: 600283
OS Grid: NU184002
Mapcode National: GBR J7H6.B7
Mapcode Global: WHC24.P4DL
Entry Name: Felton War Memorial
Listing Date: 5 August 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1436967
Location: Felton, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Felton
Built-Up Area: Felton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Felton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The c5m tall Aberdeen granite memorial stands at the roadside, on the north bank of the River Coquet. It takes the form of a Celtic cross, richly ornamented with complex interlace patterns carved in low relief on the wheel-head and cross shaft. The shaft rises from a small pedestal. The pedestal stands on a tapering plinth and the whole is raised on a square three-stepped base.
The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the pedestal reads PRO PATRIA/ 1914 – 1919/ A TRIBUTE OF/ REVERENT REMEMBRANCE TO/ OUR GLORIOUS DEAD. The First World War names are recorded by township on the faces of the plinth:
(north face) FELTON/ (16 NAMES)
(east face) THIRSTON/ (13 NAMES)
(west face) ACTON/ (2 NAMES)/ ESHOTT/ (6 NAMES)/ SWARLAND/ (3 NAMES)
A sloping plaque at the foot of the memorial to the front reads 1939 – 1945/ FELTON/ (2 NAMES)/ THIRSTON/ (1 NAME)/ ACTON/ (2 NAMES)/ ESHOTT/ (2 NAMES)/ SWARLAND/ 5 NAMES).
The memorial is enclosed by low metal posts carrying a chain.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.
Felton War Memorial was unveiled on 17 October 1920 by Colonel EPA Riddell DSO, in commemoration of the local servicemen who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War the details of a further 12 men were added to the memorial: John C Riddell of Barrasford, Colonel Riddell’s nephew, unveiled the additions on 10 July 1949. The memorial was restored in 1995.
Felton War Memorial, which stands on Riverside, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a richly ornamented cross in the Celtic style;
* Group value: with a number of adjacent Grade II-listed structures and with the scheduled and Grade II*-listed Felton Old Bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings