This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4193 / 51°25'9"N
Longitude: -1.7243 / 1°43'27"W
OS Eastings: 419267
OS Northings: 168962
OS Grid: SU192689
Mapcode National: GBR 4X2.WCB
Mapcode Global: VHC1P.2L89
Entry Name: 7th Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment War Memorial
Listing Date: 5 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1437433
Location: Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Marlborough
Built-Up Area: Marlborough
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
A war memorial obelisk of 1920 date.
A war memorial obelisk of 1920.
MATERIALS: of dressed rough-hewn stone with bronze regimental badge.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is an obelisk on a two-stepped base and square plinth. The obelisk is divided into three sections by carved horizontal grooves. To the front (north) face of the central section is fixed the bronze regimental badge. The lower face has an inset panel with lettering that reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF/ THE OFFICERS, NON COMMISIONED OFFICERS AND MEN OF THE/ SEVENTH BATTALION, WILTSHIRE REGIMENT/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED BY THEIR COMRADES/ THE BATTALION TRAINED IN MARLBOROUGH DURING THE WINTER 1914-1915,/ SERVED IN FRANCE SEPTEMBER-NOVEMBER 1915, IN MACEDONIA/ NOVEMBER 1915-JUNE 1918 AND IN FRANCE JUNE 1918- NOVEMBER 1918/ A RECORD OF THOSE WHO FELL AND A ROLL CALL OF THE BATTALION IS DEPOSITED AT THE TOWN HALL.
The war memorial commemorates the members of 7th (Service) Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment who fell in the First World War. The battalion was raised in Devizes in September 1914 as part of Lord Kitchener's Third New Army. They trained at Codford, spending the winter in billets in Marlborough, and moving to Sutton Veny for final training in April 1915. They served in France and Macedonia during the War, and saw action at the First and Second Battles of Doiran, the Battles of the Hindenburg Line, and the Final Advance in Picardy. They were disbanded on 19 March 1919.
The memorial was erected by surviving members of the battalion and was unveiled on 8 October 1920 at a ceremony attended by Field Marshall Lord Methuen. It originally stood on a triangular island at the west end of London Road, as shown on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1923. By the map of 1943 the highway had been reconfigured and the memorial had been moved to the corner of Salisbury Road and London Road. Later, it was moved to its current location, approximately 10m to the east, as shown on the map of 1970.
The 7th Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment War Memorial in Marlborough, Wiltshire is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a well-crafted obelisk in dressed stone;
* Group Value: it forms a group with a number of listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings