This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5626 / 51°33'45"N
Longitude: -1.8889 / 1°53'19"W
OS Eastings: 407798
OS Northings: 184869
OS Grid: SU077848
Mapcode National: GBR 3SS.WTN
Mapcode Global: VHB3C.6ZSG
Entry Name: Lydiard Tregoze Parish War Memorial
Listing Date: 16 September 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1438134
Location: Lydiard Tregoze, Wiltshire, SN4
Civil Parish: Lydiard Tregoze
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: West Swindon and the Lydiards
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
First World War memorial, with later additions for the Second World War.
The rough-hewn granite memorial stands in a small enclosure at the roadside on Hook Street. It takes the form of a small wheel-head cross raised on a tall tapering shaft. The shaft rises from a tapering plinth, rectangular on plan, that stands on a two-stepped base. The base is a different stone type.
The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF LYDIARD TREGOZE/ WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE/ IN THE GREAT WAR. 1914 – 1918./ (11 NAMES)/ “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.”/ ECCLUS XLIV.14 (APOCRYPHA). The lettering is in metal letters inset to the stone. A small inclined granite tablet fixed to the lower step reads 1939 – 1945/ (2 NAMES).
The memorial enclosure is marked by a low brick wall with low piers at each corner. The enclosure includes planters* and a wooden bench*, which are not of special interest.
*Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 ('the Act') it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 December 2016.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 11 members of Lydiard Tregoze parish, who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial had been erected by 1924, when it appears on the Ordnance Survey 1:2500 County Series map for Wiltshire. Following the Second World War the names of two men who died in that conflict were added.
Lydiard Tregoze Parish War Memorial, which stands on Hook Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet poignant memorial cross.
Other nearby listed buildings