This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8947 / 52°53'40"N
Longitude: -3.0379 / 3°2'16"W
OS Eastings: 330274
OS Northings: 333534
OS Grid: SJ302335
Mapcode National: GBR 74.PLL3
Mapcode Global: WH89Q.9HNP
Entry Name: Gobowen War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1439498
Location: Selattyn and Gobowen, Shropshire, SY11
Civil Parish: Selattyn and Gobowen
Built-Up Area: Gobowen
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Gobowen All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
First World War memorial, 1922, with further inscriptions added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: limestone cenotaph and marble plaques.
DESCRIPTION: Gobowen War Memorial is located at the junction of Old Whittington Road and The Cross, Gobowen. It comprises a cenotaph with two white marble inscription tablets on the east face of the memorial bearing the names of the fallen from the First and Second World Wars.
At the top of the cenotaph on the south face is a wreath carved in relief with 1914 at its centre, also in relief. Below this is an incised inscription which reads YE HAVE/ NOT DIED/ IN VAIN. On the north face is a second wreath carved in relief with 1919 at its centre. Below this is an inscription which reads THERE IS/ A LIFE/ IN DEATH.
On the east face of the memorial is a further incised inscription THE GLORIOUS DEAD. Below, is a carved arched stone frame incorporating a ledge for placing wreaths. It holds an incised arched marble tablet which reads ROLL OF HONOUR/ (NAMES).
Below this is a later rectangular plaque inscribed 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES). At the base of the memorial is a third marble plaque which reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN EVER GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS DISTRICT/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ GOD PROVED THEM AND FOUND THEM WORTHY FOR HIMSELF. The cenotaph stands upon a small square area of paving.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Gobowen in 1922 as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War. It was dedicated by First World War Army Officer Major General R A Montgomery of Petre Pant Hall near Gobowen.
It commemorates 26 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the 11 fallen of that conflict.
The memorial was re-dedicated in 1990 following a project to clean the memorial. In 2012 the memorial was repaired with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
Gobowen War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant cenotaph with carved decorative details and fine lettering, displaying a high level of craftsmanship and good quality materials.
Other nearby listed buildings