This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7199 / 55°43'11"N
Longitude: -2.163 / 2°9'46"W
OS Eastings: 389861
OS Northings: 647394
OS Grid: NT898473
Mapcode National: GBR F2B9.JF
Mapcode Global: WH9YN.RH6F
Entry Name: Norham War Memorial
Listing Date: 2 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1439671
Location: Norham, Northumberland, TD15
Civil Parish: Norham
Built-Up Area: Norham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Norham St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
First World War memorial, unveiled 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands on a small triangular green at the north end of Pedwell Way, in close proximity to surrounding buildings listed at Grade II. The c5m tall sandstone cross is decorated with interlace patterns carved in relief to the upper parts of the front face. Below these the lower part of the cross shaft carries the principal dedicatory inscription, with letters cut in relief, reading ERECTED IN MEMORY/ OF OFFICERS, NCOS AND/ MEN OF NORHAM WHO/ FELL IN THE WAR OF/ 1914-1918/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
The final name is cut into the riser of the cross’s moulded foot, with below LEST WE FORGET. The cross stands on a low base inscribed "THOSE WHO LAID DOWN THEIR/ LIVES THAT WE MIGHT LIVE". The base stands on a low square step. The memorial is enclosed by nine low stone pyramidal pillars, each square on plan, supporting pairs of metal bars. Paving slabs to the front of the memorial lead from the grass to the cross.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 22 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Norham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial, thought to be only the second to have been raised in the Borders, was dedicated by Reverend J Crawford and Canon Robeson on 28 May 1919. The whole village turned out for the ecumenical service. Funded through public subscriptions, the cross was designed and made by Messrs John S Rhind of Edinburgh. It commemorates 23 local servicemen who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War a further 12 names of men who died in that conflict were added.
Norham War Memorial, which stands on the green at the northern end of Pedwell Way, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a richly ornamented cross in the early medieval style;
* Group value: with a number of Grade II-listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings