This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4331 / 53°25'59"N
Longitude: -2.345 / 2°20'41"W
OS Eastings: 377175
OS Northings: 392978
OS Grid: SJ771929
Mapcode National: GBR DX2R.31
Mapcode Global: WH98G.YZH0
Entry Name: St Martin's, Ashton-upon-Mersey War Memorial
Listing Date: 20 January 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440079
Location: Trafford, M33
Metropolitan District Ward: Ashton upon Mersey
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Sale
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Ashton-upon-Mersey St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Chester
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located within the churchyard of St Martin’s Church, and it comprises a cross surmounting a tapered shaft set on a stepped plinth. A crown with a smaller cross inside is carved at the centre of the cross arms. The front face of the plinth carries a large bronze wreath and the inscription which reads OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ EUROPE/ 1914/ – / 1919/ AFRICA ASIA/ TO THE GREATER GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THOSE OF THIS TOWNSHIP/ WHO SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES FOR THE CAUSE OF RIGHT AND JUSTICE IN THE GREAT WAR./ THEIR GLORY SHALL NOT BE BLOTTED OUT./ "THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE."/ 1939/ – /1945/ ALSO THOSE WHO FELL IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR.
The plinth is set upon a two-stepped base.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at St Martin's, Ashton-upon-Mersey as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the parish who lost their lives in the First World War. The extension of the churchyard with the memorial were given by Sir Harry V Kilvert in 1921.
Following the Second World War, a dedication for those who lost their lives in that conflict was also added. Plaques inside the church and a stained glass window carry the names of the fallen.
St Martin's, Ashton-upon-Mersey War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant and striking sandstone cross with decorative details;
* Group value: with St Martin's Church (Grade II*), lychgate and a sundial in the churchyard (both Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings