This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0833 / 55°4'59"N
Longitude: -1.4715 / 1°28'17"W
OS Eastings: 433835
OS Northings: 576663
OS Grid: NZ338766
Mapcode National: GBR L95N.6L
Mapcode Global: WHD4C.CHJG
Plus Code: 9C7W3GMH+89
Entry Name: Seaton Sluice and Old Hartley War Memorial
Listing Date: 2 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440107
Location: Seaton Valley, Northumberland, NE26
Civil Parish: Seaton Valley
Built-Up Area: Seaton Sluice
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Delaval Our Lady
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
First World War memorial, unveiled 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands on the Green, close to the junction of Collywell Bay Road and West Terrace. It takes the form of a plain Latin cross standing at the top of a column, square on plan, which rises from a pedimented pedestal. The pedestal stands on a stepped base. The monument is enclosed by a low stone kerb and railings, with a gate to the W side.
The column’s cornice includes dentils on the bed-moulding. Below the cornice the column shaft is decorated with festoons of oak leaves carved in low relief. A wreath is carved in low relief on each face to the foot of the column shaft. An acroterion is mounted at the apex of each pediment of the pedestal, whilst the frieze below is decorated with a repeating interlace pattern encircling carved flower-heads. The inscriptions are incised into each face of the pedestal.
(W face) TO THE HONOUR OF OUR/ GLORIOUS DEAD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ SEATON SLUICE AND OLD HARTLEY/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ AND THE WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945
(N face) IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919/ 202 MEN FROM THE DISTRICT/ RESPONDED TO THE COUNTRY'S CALL,/ 23 MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE./ IN THE WORLD WAR OVER/ 200 MEN AND WOMEN SERVED AND/ 27 MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE./ ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION.
(E face) (27 NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945
(S face) (23 NAMES)/ 1914 – 1919
Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 ('the Act') it is declared that the modern railings and gate enclosing the memorial cross are not of special architectural or historic interest.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Seaton Sluice as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled on 10 September 1921 by Lt-Col Pollard CMG DSO and dedicated by the Primitive Methodist Minister, Reverend J Metcalf. It commemorates 23 local servicemen who died in the First World War and marks the service of all 202 men from the area who enlisted. The memorial was produced by T & G Cocks of Blyth and cost approximately £600. The money was raised by public subscription, whilst the site was donated by Lord Hastings.
Following the Second World War the names of 27 men who died in that conflict, of more than 200 men and women who served, were added to the memorial. It was restored by the Seaton Sluice Memorial Association in 1993. The memorial was originally enclosed by railings; these were removed at some point but have been replaced. In 2007 a refurbishment was supported by War Memorials Trust.
Seaton Sluice and Old Hartley War Memorial, which stands on the Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant and well-carved memorial in the Classical style.
Other nearby listed buildings