History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone 7m NW of 16 Church Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Alphington, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7037 / 50°42'13"N

Longitude: -3.5358 / 3°32'9"W

OS Eastings: 291640

OS Northings: 90466

OS Grid: SX916904

Mapcode National: GBR P0.RBKT

Mapcode Global: FRA 37H6.SDM

Plus Code: 9C2RPF37+FM

Entry Name: Milestone 7m NW of 16 Church Road

Listing Date: 7 September 2017

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1440322

Location: Exeter, Devon, EX2

County: Devon

Electoral Ward/Division: Alphington

Built-Up Area: Exeter

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Summary


Early-C19 milestone erected by the Exeter Turnpike Trust.

Description

Early-C19 milestone erected by the Exeter Turnpike Trust.


DESCRIPTION
A free-standing stone with a rectangular base that tapers at the top, and a triangular shaft above. The street-facing sides of the shaft bear inscriptions with the distance in miles to Exeter (1) and Chudleigh (9) and the base has the distance to London (177). There other decorative marks on the stone. The milestone is set within the wall in front of No 16 Church Road.

History

The Exeter Turnpike Trust was established in 1753. It became responsible for 141 miles of road and covered one of the largest sections of road in the country. The main turnpike road from Exeter to Plymouth passed through Chudleigh, via Alphington. In 1822, the Alphington to Chudleigh road was altered, with a new 5 mile section created from Kennford to Chudleigh. The Exeter Turnpike Trust employed different styles of milestones to mark their routes. These included a tall, multi-faceted stone on locations close to major towns and cities, and a smaller rounded-top stone in less prominent locations. The Trust was wound up in 1884.

The milestone stands on Church Road, Alphington. This section of road forms part of the original 1753 turnpike from Chudleigh to Exeter. When the route between Kennford and Chudleigh was created in 1822 it linked up with this part of the original road leading into Exeter. The stone appears to be contemporary with the other early-C19 milestones.

Reasons for Listing

The milestone 7m north-west of 16 Church Road, Alphington, Devon is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: as a piece of early-C19 street furniture which retains its inscription and which was part of the former Exeter Turnpike Trust, one of the largest in the country;

* Architectural interest: it has added design interest with the use of a multi-faceted style, employed due to its proximity to Exeter;

* Group value: it forms a good group with other listed milestones along the road between Exeter and Chudleigh.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.