This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9514 / 52°57'4"N
Longitude: 1.0203 / 1°1'13"E
OS Eastings: 603000
OS Northings: 343601
OS Grid: TG030436
Mapcode National: GBR T8P.SYG
Mapcode Global: WHLQT.N22R
Plus Code: 9F43X22C+G4
Entry Name: Blakeney War Memorial
Listing Date: 14 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440867
Location: Blakeney, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25
Civil Parish: Blakeney
Built-Up Area: Blakeney
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Blakeney St Nicholas with St Mary and St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
First World War memorial, erected in 1921, with Second World War additions. The inscription tablets were renewed in the 1990s.
First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1921, with Second World War additions. The inscription tablets were renewed in the 1990s.
MATERIALS: of brick and flint with marble inscription tablets.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands on the south side of New Road and takes the form of a tall, rectangular pedestal set upon a terracotta tiled plinth of two steps. At the head is a triangular pediment. The First World War dedicatory inscription panel is set within a round-headed niche and reads: THESE / COTTAGES / ARE ERECTED IN / GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE / BLAKENEY MEN WHO GAVE / THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR / 1914 - 1918 [Names]. At the foot of the pedestal is a small marble tablet inscribed: AND THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Names]. Attached to each side of the pedestal are low, curving, flint walls with brick coping, plinths and square end piers.
Standing c12m to the rear of the memorial are the Memorial Cottages, a pair of semi-detached bungalows which were built as part of the parish's commemorative scheme to honour the war dead. The cottages are not of special interest.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was erected in 1921 in the Norfolk parish of Blakeney to honour the 31 local men who died during the conflict. Over £1,000 was raised by public subscription to build a memorial, along with two 'memorial cottages', on land donated by Mrs Anna Turner on the south side of New Road. Following the Second World War a further eight names were added. In the 1990s Blakeney Parish Council inserted a new inscription tablet over the original tablet. Unfortunately, the new inscriptions contain four errors, all involving the use of the letter C instead of the letter G; the relevant names should read: C.A.G.Cooke, G.P.Hudson, G.King and N.G.Cooke.
Blakeney War Memorial, erected in 1921, with Second World War additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a tall pedestal with flanking, curving walls.
Other nearby listed buildings