We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.238 / 53°14'16"N
Longitude: -0.6142 / 0°36'51"W
OS Eastings: 492588
OS Northings: 372111
OS Grid: SK925721
Mapcode National: GBR SZ4Z.TZ
Mapcode Global: WHGHY.JWR2
Plus Code: 9C5X69QP+58
Entry Name: Skellingthorpe War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440929
ID on this website: 101440929
Location: St Lawrence's Church, Skellingthorpe, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN6
District: North Kesteven
Civil Parish: Skellingthorpe
Built-Up Area: Skellingthorpe
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Skellingthorpe St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
Tagged with: War memorial
First World War memorial, created by masons M Tuttell and Son of Lincoln and unveiled on 22 May 1920, with further names added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Cornish granite.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is located within the churchyard of St Lawrence’s Church. It consists of a wheel-head cross set on top of a tapering square shaft. The shaft rises from a trapezoid shape plinth which sits on a two-stepped square base.
The front face of the plinth carries the dedication for the First World War and reads: IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE/ MEN OF SKELLINGTHORPE WHO/ DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ (NAMES).
The base of the shaft is incised IN MEMORY OF/ (NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR OF 1939 – 1945.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Skellingthorpe as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
It was created by masons M Tuttell and Son of Lincoln whose company erected many war memorials throughout Lincolnshire including Boultham, Bracebridge, Canwick, Eagle, Hackthorn, Laceby, Lincoln, Martin, Skellingthorpe, Sturton by Stow, Tealby, Welton and Witham on the Hill. They also crafted numerous war memorials in churches, chapels, schools and public buildings.
Following a short dedication service conducted by the vicar Revd Thomas Hamilton assisted by the Revd Marshal Johnson (Wesleyan of Lincoln) the memorial was unveiled by Lt Col Edmund Royds OBE MP of Holycross, Caythorpe on 22 May 1920. It commemorates 19 local servicemen who fell during the First World War. Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the five fallen of that conflict.
Skellingthorpe War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified Cornish granite wheel-head cross;
* Designer: by masons M Tuttell and Son of Lincoln whose company erected many war memorials throughout Lincolnshire;
* Group value: with St Lawrence’s Church (Grade II).
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings