This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6192 / 50°37'9"N
Longitude: -3.7186 / 3°43'6"W
OS Eastings: 278520
OS Northings: 81358
OS Grid: SX785813
Mapcode National: GBR QK.1BCZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 373F.M39
Entry Name: Lustleigh War Memorial
Listing Date: 15 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441201
Location: Lustleigh, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Lustleigh
Built-Up Area: Lustleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lustleigh
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
A First World War memorial dating from 1925; altered after the Second World War.
A First World War memorial designed by Colonel A. S. Dunlop of the Lustleigh branch of The British Legion (now The Royal British Legion); altered after the Second World War.
Constructed of granite.
A war memorial in the form of a granite boulder with flanking curved walls and plaques. Four stepped base with curved plinth and granite boulder with incised cross. The plinth is inscribed with 1914-1919 - 1939-1945/ LEST WE FORGET. The stone walls, which surround the boulder, are random rubble with ashlar quoins and saddled-backed coping. There is an attachment for a flagpole situated at the rear of the memorial. There are two plaques to either side of the boulder. The two earlier plaques, sited furthest from the boulder are both inscribed with DEATH DUE TO SERVICE/ OVERSEAS./ (NAMES); the two later plaques, sited closer to the boulder, both read: 1939-1945/ (NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 February 2017.
Lustleigh war memorial is situated on the corner of the junction at the bottom of Mapstone Hill. The memorial was unveiled by General Sir Alexander J Godley, KCB, KCMG, on 11 April 1925, and was dedicated by the Bishop of Exeter. The land that the memorial is sited on was donated by Maj Gen W J Fawcett. Unusually, the memorial was erected entirely under direction of the Lustleigh branch of the Royal British Legion; the memorial was designed by Colonel A S Dunlop, president of the Lustleigh branch.
The memorial originally featured two plaques on the walls flanking the central boulder, dedicated to the men who lost their lives during the First World War. Two further plaques were later added to the walls, giving the names of the men who lost their lives during the Second World War.
The war memorial in Lustleigh, designed and erected by The British Legion (now The Royal British Legion) in 1925, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as a poignant reminder of the sacrifice of this community during the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as a well-executed and distinctive war memorial, in the form of a boulder with curved flanking walls;
* Degree of survival: the memorial survives unaltered and in its original location.
Other nearby listed buildings