This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5286 / 51°31'42"N
Longitude: -0.3554 / 0°21'19"W
OS Eastings: 514181
OS Northings: 182358
OS Grid: TQ141823
Mapcode National: GBR 5C.K26
Mapcode Global: VHFT6.SVH1
Entry Name: Greenford War Memorial
Listing Date: 10 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441331
Location: Ealing, London, UB6
London Borough Ward: Greenford Broadway
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Greater London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Greenford Magna Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: London
First World War memorial, designed by A J Campbell-Cooper and unveiled on 12 June 1921.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is situated on a green at the junction of The Broadway, Ruislip Road and Oldfield Lane South, and it comprises a cross with a circular face in which is a small cross encircled by a laurel wreath carved in relief. The cross surmounts a shaft set on a three-stepped base.
The inscription reads: 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ YE WHO LIVE ON MID ENGLISH PASTURES GREEN/ REMEMBER US, AND THINK WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The other three sides of the steps carry the names.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Greenford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
In early 1920 a memorial fund committee was formed with 47 members as £150 was needed to pay for the memorial. Councillor Alfred Cooper made the decision about having a cross and it was designed by A J Campbell-Cooper JP and built by F J Pushman of Hanwell.
The memorial was unveiled on 12 June 1921 by Fane de Salis, chairman of the Middlesex County Council.
Greenford War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant and striking memorial cross in Portland stone.
Other nearby listed buildings