This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7805 / 53°46'49"N
Longitude: -0.6446 / 0°38'40"W
OS Eastings: 489410
OS Northings: 432426
OS Grid: SE894324
Mapcode National: GBR RSYQ.7J
Mapcode Global: WHGFF.27BM
Plus Code: 9C5XQ9J4+65
Entry Name: North Cave War Memorial
Listing Date: 13 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441609
Location: North Cave, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU15
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: North Cave
Built-Up Area: North Cave
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: North Cave All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
First World War memorial unveiled on 18 June 1921 with further names added after the Second World War and for later conflicts.
MATERIALS: Portland stone
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is located at the junction of Station Road and Westgate in North Cave, East Riding of Yorkshire.
It consists of a floriated Latin cross with carved decoration including white roses of Yorkshire. The cross stands on top of a tapering octagonal shaft which terminates in a crenelated cap. The shaft rises from a square plinth with decorative carvings including a further representation of the Yorkshire rose on top of a cross and a shield. The plinth is set upon a three-tiered octagonal base; the lowest tier bears carved relief decoration.
The First World War dedication is located on the plinth and reads IN HONOUR OF THE MEN/ OF THIS PARISH WHO/ FOUGHT AND IN EVER/ GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR GOD AND KING/ FOR RIGHT FOR FREEDOM/ AND FOR PEACE/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918.
The top tier of the base is incised with the names of the fallen on three faces. On the rear face is 1939 – 45. The names continue on the second tier and has SEE YE TO IT/ THAT THESE SHALL NOT HAVE/ DIED IN VAIN running around it. A further inscription reads 1951 MALAYAN WAR/ (NAME).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at North Cave as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
It commemorates 29 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Land was bought through public subscription in 1921 for £27 10s and the Carver family led by Major Carver were at the forefront in the organisation, purchase and management of the memorial. It was unveiled on 18 June 1921 by Patricia Carver.
Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the 29 fallen of that conflict. Following the Malayan War, a further dedication was added to commemorate the one fallen of that conflict.
Historic photographs show that the paving is not original to the design and it may have been added after the Second World War.
In 2015 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant funding from War Memorials Trust.
North Cave War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an ornate and striking Portland stone Latin cross with carved decorative details.
Other nearby listed buildings