This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9997 / 50°59'58"N
Longitude: -0.1112 / 0°6'40"W
OS Eastings: 532629
OS Northings: 123951
OS Grid: TQ326239
Mapcode National: GBR KNC.8P5
Mapcode Global: FRA B6NG.NH3
Entry Name: Haywards Heath War Memorial
Listing Date: 27 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441877
Location: Haywards Heath, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH16
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Haywards Heath
Built-Up Area: Haywards Heath
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Haywards Heath Saint Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
First World War memorial, unveiled on 30 November 1924, with further names added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Cornish granite with bronze plaques.
DESCRIPTION: Haywards Heath War Memorial is sited on a low grass mound on a triangular green at the western entrance to the town. The memorial stands some 3m high and is a large, irregular monolith bearing a raised stone cross on a smooth polished panel recessed into the West face. Underneath are large raised letters in stone reading 1914 – 1919/ IN MEMORIAM. A large bronze plaque underneath carries the names of the fallen. Unusually, as an apparent afterthought, a small bronze plaque below is inscribed ALSO IN MEMORY OF ALL COMRADES WHO HAVE/ SINCE PASSED OVER FROM CAUSES ATTRIBUTABLE/ TO THE GREAT WAR.
A bronze plaque has been cut into the East face of the granite block and is inscribed 1939 – 1945/ IN MEMORIAM/ (NAMES).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Haywards Heath as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
It commemorates 167 local servicemen who died during the First World War, and unusually, also those who died subsequently from causes attributable to the war. The fundraising of £300 and the erection of the war memorial was overseen by Major Blaker JP, Chairman of the Urban District Council. The memorial was created by Mr Bridgman of Lewes.
It was unveiled on 30 November 1924 by the Lord Lieutenant of Sussex, Lord Leconfield and was dedicated by the vicar of Haywards Heath.
Following the Second World War, a plaque was added to commemorate the 96 fallen of that conflict.
Haywards Heath War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a dignified Cornish granite monolith displaying a high level of craftsmanship and good quality materials.
Other nearby listed buildings