This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7555 / 52°45'19"N
Longitude: 1.3082 / 1°18'29"E
OS Eastings: 623333
OS Northings: 322677
OS Grid: TG233226
Mapcode National: GBR WG7.7JP
Mapcode Global: WHMSW.2Z6Y
Entry Name: Buxton War Memorial
Listing Date: 15 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442069
Location: Buxton with Lammas, Broadland, Norfolk, NR10
Civil Parish: Buxton with Lammas
Built-Up Area: Buxton (Broadland)
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Oxnead
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Portland stone
DESCRIPTION: Buxton War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew, Mill Street, Buxton, Norfolk. It is prominently situated in the SW corner of the churchyard, overlooking the junctions of Mill Street, Coltishall Road and Aylsham Road. It comprises a 3.3m high wheel-head cross on an elegant octagonal tapering shaft with moulded base, which stands upon a tapering plinth bearing inscriptions and a two-stepped base below.
The inscription is incised and on the front (E) face of the plinth reads IN PROUD AND AFFECTIONATE/ MEMORY OF/ THOSE SONS OF BUXTON/ WHO FOUGHT AND DIED/ FOR THEIR FRIENDS/ THEIR HOMES & THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WARS/ 1914 – 1919/ 1939 – 1945.
The N and S faces read THE GLORIOUS DEAD/ (NAMES).
The W face reads THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD AS WE/ THAT ARE LEFT GROW OLD/ AGE SHALL NOT WEARY THEM/ NOR THE YEARS CONDEMN/ AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN/ AND IN THE MORNING/ WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
73 men from Buxton, of a population of 350, joined up during the First World War according to local newspapers at the time. These numbers suggest that 21 per cent of the population joined, and of those 73 men, 27 per cent were killed.
The memorial to these men, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated within the churchyard. There is also a roll of honour in St Andrew’s Church. The memorial was unveiled and dedicated by the Bishop of Thetford in February 1920.
The memorial originally commemorated 20 local servicemen who fell in the First World War, but an additional four names of men who fell in the Second World War were added later.
The memorial was renovated in 1999.
Buxton War Memorial, which is situated in St Andrew’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as an elegant Portland stone wheel-head cross;
* Group value: with the Church of St Andrew (Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings