This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6044 / 52°36'15"N
Longitude: 1.5709 / 1°34'15"E
OS Eastings: 641893
OS Northings: 306726
OS Grid: TG418067
Mapcode National: GBR XKN.MZ9
Mapcode Global: WHMTS.3SBR
Entry Name: Halvergate and Tunstall War Memorial, including gated railings
Listing Date: 14 March 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1443359
Location: Halvergate, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Halvergate
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Halvergate St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, with Second World War addition. Shrouded urn atop a four-sided column bearing inscriptions, set within an enclosure with gated railings.
MATERIALS: Brown granite.
DESCRIPTION: Halvergate and Tunstall war memorial is located at the junction of Sandhole Road and The Street, Halvergate. It comprises a shrouded urn atop a four-sided column bearing inscriptions, on a grey base, standing within an enclosure with gated railings. The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised lettering.
The inscription to the front face of the column reads THIS MONUMENT IS/ ERECTED IN GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ HALVERGATE AND TUNSTALL/ WHO LAID DOWN THEIR/ LIVES WHILE SERVING/ IN H.M. FORCES IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1918/ "THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE". The commemorated First World War names are recorded to either side of the column. The later inscription to the rear of the column reads SACRED/ ALSO TO THE GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF THOSE WHO/ FELL IN THE WAR/ 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 March 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Halvergate as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Halvergate and Tunstall war memorial was unveiled on Sunday 8 August 1920 and dedicated by the rector of Acle, Reverend J Blackbourne. It was built by Mr W R Utting of Acle, a monumental mason. The memorial commemorates 18 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. The names of three men who fell in the Second World War were later added.
Halvergate and Tunstall War Memorial, including gated railings, which is situated at the junction of Sandhole Road and The Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as a simple but well-executed granite column with shrouded urn atop;
* Group value: with the Grade I-listed Church of Peter and St Paul, and in close proximity to a cluster of Grade II-listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings