This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4818 / 51°28'54"N
Longitude: -0.0855 / 0°5'7"W
OS Eastings: 533038
OS Northings: 177605
OS Grid: TQ330776
Mapcode National: GBR SR.Y0
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.G0NX
Plus Code: 9C3XFWJ7+PR
Entry Name: Burgess Park War Memorial
Listing Date: 3 July 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1444721
Location: Southwark, London, SE5
County: Greater London Authority
Electoral Ward/Division: Peckham
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
War memorial, unveiled 1920, in the form of a bronze statue of Christ atop a plinth.
Bronze statue of Christ in a long flowing robe, his head bowed, and holding up a crown of thorns in his hands. Beneath Christ's right heel is the author's signature: ARILD ROSENKRANTZ / 1919. This stands on a limestone and granite plinth forming part of the outer boundary wall to the church; the front face of the plinth bears the inscription: TO THE / MEMORY / OF THOSE / WHO / SERVED / 1914 - 1918.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised in St George's Church (now flats), in what is now Burgess Park, as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community. It was unveiled on Sunday 19 September 1920 by the Mayor of Camberwell John George Spradbrow and Reverend PM Herbert, Vicar of St George's Church. The funds for the memorial were raised by local parishioners.
On 20 August 1991 the sculpture was stolen, but was later recovered in a scrapyard in Brixton and re-installed. It was refurbished in 2004.
Arild Rosenkrantz (1870 - 1964) was a Danish artist, working predominantly in stained glass and painting. His father died when he was three years old; he was thus raised almost entirely by his Scottish mother, who inculcated in him a strong interest in mysticism and spirituality which is evident in much of his work. Rosenkrantz studied and worked in Rome, Paris and New York, before settling in London in 1898, marrying his cousin in 1901. He became deeply involved with Rudolf Steiner's Anthroposophic Society, moving to the group's headquarters in Dornach, Switzerland for a while and helping to design the Society's Goetheanum building there. In 1925 Rosenkrantz and his wife moved back to London. Whilst visiting Denmark in 1940 they were caught up in the Nazi invasion and were unable to leave; they decided to stay and set up a home at Rosenholm Castle, where Rosenkrantz stayed until his death in 1964.
Burgess Park War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices they made in the First World War;
* Design: as an attractive and emotive sculpture of Christ by Danish artist Arild Rosenkrantz;
* Group value: with the Grade II-listed St George's Church.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings