History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

First World War pillbox (BA22), south west of Auburn Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Barmston, East Riding of Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0465 / 54°2'47"N

Longitude: -0.2187 / 0°13'7"W

OS Eastings: 516727

OS Northings: 462639

OS Grid: TA167626

Mapcode National: GBR VPXN.F6

Mapcode Global: WHHFD.MK17

Plus Code: 9C6X2QWJ+JG

Entry Name: First World War pillbox (BA22), south west of Auburn Farm

Listing Date: 27 June 2017

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1445107

Location: Barmston, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO15

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Barmston

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Fraisthorpe

Summary


First World War pillbox for riflemen, thought to have been built in 1917 as part of a strong point defending the exit off Auburn Sands/Fraisthorpe Beach.

Description

First World War pillbox for riflemen, probably built 1917.

MATERIALS: in-situ poured reinforced concrete.
PLAN: square plan.

EXTERIOR: the pillbox is sited at the SW corner of an enclosed thicket and faces E towards the sea. The structure has a doorway in the W (rear) wall, the other three walls have one narrow-splayed rifle embrasure each. The jambs of the doorways are notched to receive a timber door frame and the roof is a flat concrete slab. A concrete filled sandbag remains against the W wall, and may be a remnant of a covering of sandbags that gave added protection to the pillbox.
INTERIOR: the floor is buried in a layer of mud. The walls have smooth concrete surfaces, with horizontal plank shuttering witness marks, and no internal features or fittings.

History

British concerns about German military ambitions grew steadily during the first decade of the C20 and it was realised that the previous emphasis on the provision of defences along the South Coast of England was misplaced. Work commenced on the provision of new coastal defences for the Humber in about 1913; however, little consideration was given to the possibility of a German invasion. This situation changed dramatically with the German invasion of Belgium, which resulted in Great Britain declaring war on Germany on 4 August 1914. With the German Army lodged in Belgium and eastern France, the East Coast of the British Isles suddenly became vulnerable to attack or invasion. Initially the British Army moved mobile bicycle battalions into the coastal areas and stationed reserves in camps and barracks close to the coast. Fieldworks were prepared along vulnerable lengths of coastline, consisting of trenches, redoubts, barbed wire entanglements, and field-gun emplacements; in addition, extensive hedge clearances were undertaken to improve fields of fire and some pre-existing buildings and farms were fortified. These fieldworks were typical of the time; however, hard lessons learned on the Western Front from 1916 onwards, showed the value of mutually supporting concrete emplacements. These structures in soldiers' slang acquired the term 'pillbox', 'pill box', or 'pillar box'. The term 'pill box' first appeared in print on the front page of The Times newspaper on 2 August 1917. The appearance and distribution of First World War pillboxes in England would suggest a degree of centralised design, with circular, square, rectangular, trapezoidal and hexagonal designs. Some of the Commander Royal Engineers (CRE), responsible for over-seeing the construction work would have had experience of building pillboxes on the Western Front, hence the variations in the choice of designs. Square and rectangular pillboxes dating to the First World War can be found in Kent, Suffolk and Norfolk; however they are all built with much more substantial walls and roofs. Although it is not known precisely when the pillboxes were built at Auburn Farm, they do represent some of the earliest pillboxes in the British Isles and are likely to have been built in 1917.

The disposition of the defences reflect the principle of 'defence in depth', with pillboxes at the rear of the beach, covered by pillboxes further inland, and a strong point created at Auburn Farm, to cover the exit off the beach. The design of the pillbox is much simpler and less robust than those built on the continent at the time, but this may reflect the fact that it was only intended to resist an infantry attack, or that the availability of concrete for its construction was limited. The First World War pillboxes along the East Riding coast are relatively insubstantial and are barely ‘bullet-proof’, let alone 'blast or shell-proof', differing from the substantial 'shell-proof' pillboxes built along the Lincolnshire coast, which had thick reinforced concrete walls that were intended to resist naval artillery bombardment. The East Riding pillboxes were all built using timber plank shuttering, with in-situ poured concrete, reinforced with expanded metal lathing sheets (Expamet), which is exposed in the jambs of the rifle embrasures that have been cut into the walls. The thin wall and roof thickness of these pillboxes, suggest that they were intended to be covered with sandbags or earth, both to give protection and camouflage. On the outbreak of the Second World War, most of the First World War pillboxes were re-occupied and later integrated into the more heavily constructed 'Coastal Crust' anti-invasion defences of that conflict.

This pillbox appears to have formed part of the rearward part of the strong point defence with single rifle embrasures facing E, N and S, but none facing W.

Reasons for Listing

First World War pillbox (BA22), south west of Auburn Farm is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* Rarity: a rare surviving First World War pillbox, thought to have been amongst the earliest to have been built in England, using techniques developed on the Western Front in 1916;
* Adaptation: the reuse of the Auburn Farm pillboxes in the Second World War adds to their interest;

Architectural interest:

* Design: as illustrations of the early development and use of reinforced concrete for infantry defence;
* Group value: the way in which the pillboxes are arranged as a group of mutually supporting pillboxes forming a strong point is of particular special interest as an illustration of First World War defensive thinking.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.