This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0338 / 52°2'1"N
Longitude: -0.9692 / 0°58'9"W
OS Eastings: 470809
OS Northings: 237770
OS Grid: SP708377
Mapcode National: GBR BYP.FSH
Mapcode Global: VHDT3.44ZP
Entry Name: Akeley War Memorial
Listing Date: 5 April 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1445172
Location: Akeley, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Akeley
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: North Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial unveiled in 1920.
First World War memorial, unveiled in 1920, located in the churchyard of the former Church of St James (demolished). Restored in 2008 by HW Masons and Sons of Newport Pagnall.
DESCRIPTION: a stone wheel cross, on a slim shaft rising from a moulded plinth surmounting a chamfered base. Granite tablets were placed over the original inscriptions on the plinth in 2008 replicating the original. The lettering is incised and in black.
On the N face the inscription reads: PASS NOT THIS SHRINE/ IN SORROW BUT IN PRIDE/AND MAY YOU LIVE AS/NOBLY AS THEY DIED. Nine names are listed below.
On the S face the inscription reads: IN THANKFUL REMEMBRANCE/OF THOSE FROM THIS PARISH/WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918.
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN/ HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.
The E and W panels are blank.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 6 June 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Akeley, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled in 1920. In 2008 it was restored as the lettering had become illegible. Granite panels were attached to the sides of the plinth, faithfully reproducing the script and names of the fallen, which were incised with black lettering.
Akeley War Memorial, located in the churchyard of the former Church of St James (demolished), is listed at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: this is a good quality wheel-headed cross memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings