History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moreton Pinkney War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Moreton Pinkney, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1369 / 52°8'12"N

Longitude: -1.1627 / 1°9'45"W

OS Eastings: 457399

OS Northings: 249065

OS Grid: SP573490

Mapcode National: GBR 8TF.T17

Mapcode Global: VHCVY.SKN6

Plus Code: 9C4W4RPP+QW

Entry Name: Moreton Pinkney War Memorial

Listing Date: 3 August 2017

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1448720

Location: Moreton Pinkney, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN11

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Moreton Pinkney

Built-Up Area: Moreton Pinkney

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Find accommodation in
Moreton Pinkney

Summary


First World War memorial erected in 1920 and unveiled by Sir Arthur Dryden.

Description

First World War memorial erected in 1920 and unveiled by Sir Arthur Dryden.

DESCRIPTION: Moreton Pinkney War Memorial is located within the churchyard of the Church of St Mary (Grade II* listed) in close proximity to several Grade II listed headstones.

It consists of a stone Latin cross in the Celtic style with carved knot work detail on the front (east) face. The shaft rises from a tapering square plinth, surmounting a two stepped base on a narrow, square block.

INSCRIPTION: the dedication is incised into the front (east) of the plinth and reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ IN THANKFULNESS TO HIM/ FOR THE WONDERFUL VICTORY/ AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ AND THE RIGHT IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED/ BY THE PARISHONERS OF/ MORETON PINKNEY.

The rear (west) face is incised with four names.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Moreton Pinkney as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the four members of the local community who fell in the First World War. It was erected by November 1920 and was unveiled by Sir Arthur Dryden.

Reasons for Listing

Moreton Pinkney war memorial, which is situated in St Mary’s churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* An elegant Latin cross memorial with finely carved Celtic knot work detail.

Group value:

* For its relationship with the Grade II* listed Church of St Mary and several Grade II listed headstones within the churchyard.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.