This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4282 / 52°25'41"N
Longitude: -1.701 / 1°42'3"W
OS Eastings: 420425
OS Northings: 281177
OS Grid: SP204811
Mapcode National: GBR 4HX.NRY
Mapcode Global: VHBWV.G7LC
Entry Name: Hampton in Arden War Memorial
Listing Date: 16 August 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1448967
Location: Hampton in Arden, Solihull, B92
Civil Parish: Hampton in Arden
Built-Up Area: Hampton in Arden
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
First World War memorial, unveiled in 1921 and built by Messrs J White and Sons, with later additions for the Second World War.
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is located at the junction of High Street and Shadowbrook Lane.
Constructed of Portland stone, the memorial takes the form a Latin cross with tapering, hexagonal shaft and splayed base. The cross has a cross patée symbol incised at the centre. The shaft rises from a hexagonal plinth with moulded top, surmounting a four-stepped hexagonal base. Three rectangular blocks, regularly spaced around the memorial, adjoin the top step of the base and cut into the step below. The whole is raised up upon a hexagonal stone platform.
The principal inscription is to the front (south) face of the plinth and reads: TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF/ HAMPTON IN ARDEN/ WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE CAUSE OF/ FREEDOM. The symbol of a cross is incised beneath the inscription. The names are to the adjoining faces; 12 to the left face and 11 to the right face, which also has the letters RIP below the names. All lettering to the plinth is incised.
Below the principal inscription is a rectangular block with the dates 1914 - 1918 carved in relief. Directly beneath, to the third step down, is an incised inscription: SONS OF THIS PLACE - LET THIS OF YOU BE SAID/ THAT YOU WHO LIVE ARE WORTHY OF YOUR DEAD.
The bottom step has the dates 1939 – 1945 carved in relief with one name incised beneath.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The memorial is on a sloping site; this is mitigated by the memorial’s position atop a raised grassed area with irregular-coursed stone retaining walls that decrease in height to form a level area.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Hampton-in-Arden as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 23 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled on 24 July 1921 by Lieutenant-General Sir John Keir.
It was built by monumental masons Messrs J White and Sons who were also responsible for several other war memorials, including those at Shirley, Halifax, and the obelisk to the Meriden Cyclists (all Grade II-listed). They also created the Belgian Exiles tablet in the Council House, Birmingham.
Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the one fallen soldier of that conflict.
Hampton-in-Arden War Memorial, which is situated at the junction of High Street and Shadowbrook Lane, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* A well-executed Latin cross memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings