This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4815 / 51°28'53"N
Longitude: -0.2066 / 0°12'23"W
OS Eastings: 524630
OS Northings: 177360
OS Grid: TQ246773
Mapcode National: GBR CB.6LM
Mapcode Global: VHGR4.C1M4
Entry Name: War Memorial at the Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 14 November 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1450604
Location: Hammersmith and Fulham, London, SW6
District: Hammersmith and Fulham
Electoral Ward/Division: Fulham Broadway
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Hammersmith and Fulham
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
First World war memorial, c1920; relocated 1967.
The memorial stands on a two-stepped concrete base, formerly railed. A plain 4’ stone cross stands on a 3’ plinth, which breaks forward to the east from a wall of three stone panels of the same height. The central east-facing panel of the plinth is inscribed as follows:
THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THIS PARISH TO PERPETUATE THE MEMORY OF THEIR GALLANT KINSFOLK WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919 LORD ALL PITYING, JESU BLEST, GRANT THEM THINE ETERNAL REST
Ninety names were originally inscribed onto the other panels, almost all now illegible.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 January 2018.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was erected in the churchyard of St Thomas of Canterbury as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It is believed to have been erected in 1920, originally near the south porch of the Church of St Thomas of Canterbury, and was moved to its current location within the churchyard in 1967.
The war memorial within the churchyard of St Thomas of Canterbury, Fulham, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.
* With the Grade II* listed Church of St Thomas of Canterbury, the adjacent Grade II listed presbytery, and the Grade II listed tomb of Warrington Taylor.
Other nearby listed buildings