This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6156 / 51°36'56"N
Longitude: -1.9636 / 1°57'48"W
OS Eastings: 402615
OS Northings: 190750
OS Grid: SU026907
Mapcode National: GBR 3S3.NCF
Mapcode Global: VHB33.XN8C
Entry Name: Minety War Memorial
Listing Date: 2 November 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1450968
Location: Minety, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Minety
Built-Up Area: Minety
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
First World War memorial obelisk, unveiled 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands in a small walled and gated enclosure on the main road through the village, at the junction of Silver Street and Hornbury Hill, adjacent to the former School House and School (unlisted) and opposite the current village school (unlisted).
The memorial is c3m tall and comprises a simple granite obelisk, square in plan, standing on a three-stepped plinth with a two-stepped base. The main inscription is incised on the front face of the obelisk in black-painted lettering, reading DEDICATED/ TO THE MEMORY/ OF THE/ MEN OF/ MINETY/ WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR THEIR/ KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ A.D. 1914 – 1919/ ALSO OF/ THE WAR/ 1939 – 1945. On either side of the obelisk is a biblical quotation taken from the Book of Lamentations.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was erected at Minety as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The first proposal for a memorial was made at a parish council meeting by Councillor Hatton on 15 November 1918. During 1919 a suitable building or structure to be a war memorial was debated locally, whilst public subscriptions were collected. By July of that year it had been resolved to erect a monument, adjacent to the school buildings in the middle of the village.
The land on which the memorial stands was made available by the trustees of the village school. The obelisk was unveiled on 6 March 1920, having been built by Messrs Hughes and Son of Malmesbury. Mrs Gouldsmith unveiled the memorial, which was then dedicated by the vicar, Reverend TA Ludlow-Hewitt. The memorial was later amended to incorporate a reference to those who died during the Second World War.
Minety War Memorial, which stands at the junction of Silver Street and Hornbury Hill, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* A simple yet poignant memorial obelisk in granite.
Other nearby listed buildings