This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4147 / 51°24'52"N
Longitude: -2.2547 / 2°15'16"W
OS Eastings: 382385
OS Northings: 168441
OS Grid: ST823684
Mapcode National: GBR 1RL.6SF
Mapcode Global: VH96G.VPXV
Entry Name: Box and Ditteridge War Memorial
Listing Date: 8 November 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1450973
Location: Box, Wiltshire, SN13
Civil Parish: Box
Built-Up Area: Box
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands at the centre of a small garden at the junction of the Bath Road (A4) and the Devizes road (A365). The garden is enclosed by a stone wall with pillars on the north and east sides, and posts at street level on the south side, that carry spiked chains. The memorial is carved from local limestone.
The memorial comprises a very tall octagonal cross standing on an elaborate plinth in two stages, with an octagonal three-stepped base. The heavily moulded foot of the cross shaft stands on the upper stage, a corniced pedestal, square on plan, with volutes at the corners. The lower stage, octagonal on plan and also corniced, has eight inset limestone panels recording commemorated names. Two of the panels retain their original incised inscriptions, whilst the remaining six panels were replaced in or after 1936 as weather had damaged the original inscriptions.
The principal dedicatory inscription on the western panel reads ERECTED A.D. 1920, BY PUBLIC/ SUBSCRIPTION./ IN EVER GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF/ THE MEN FROM BOX AND DITTERIDGE,/ WHO DURING THE GREAT WAR 1914-18,/ LEFT ALL THAT WAS DEAR TO THEM/ AT THE CALL OF DUTY,/ TO ENDURE HARDSHIP, TO FACE DANGER,/ AND GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THE FREEDOM OF THE WORLD.
A further inscription running around the foot of the cross shaft reads THEIR/ NAME/ LIVETH/ FOR/ EVERMORE.
Three bronze panels on the upper stage of the plinth commemorate the 18 parishioners who died during the Second World War.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Box as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 43 parishioners of Box and Ditteridge who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was designed by Mr Arthur Chaffey of Box, with inscriptions authored by Reverend Vere Awdry, and the limestone was given by the local quarries. The full cost of the memorial was met by public subscriptions. It was unveiled on Saturday 30 October 1920 by Mr George Wilbraham-Northey, Lord of the Manor.
Three bronze panels were subsequently added to commemorate the parishioners who gave their lives in the Second World War.
Box and Ditteridge War Memorial, which stands at the junction of Bath Road and Devizes Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* an elaborate, elegant memorial cross in local limestone.
* with a number of Grade II-listed properties in close proximity, and the Grade I-listed Church of St Thomas a Becket.
Other nearby listed buildings