This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.935 / 50°56'5"N
Longitude: -0.0606 / 0°3'38"W
OS Eastings: 536373
OS Northings: 116847
OS Grid: TQ363168
Mapcode National: GBR KP6.9HZ
Mapcode Global: FRA B6RM.XXL
Plus Code: 9C2XWWMQ+XQ
Entry Name: Memorial Lychgate, All Saints Church
Listing Date: 20 December 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1451164
Location: Plumpton, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Plumpton
Built-Up Area: Plumpton Green
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
A lychgate, 1920, in the churchyard of All Saints Church, Plumpton Green.
A lychgate, 1920, outside All Saints Church, Plumpton Green.
MATERIALS: oak, wooden shingles, stone and flint walls.
DESCRIPTION: the lychgate has a shallow hipped roof which is covered in wooden shingles and surmounted by a timber cross. The roof is supported by and oak frame with curved braces and cross-braces, which in turn stands on a timber wall plate. Supporting cross beams run around the underside of the roof and on the road side carry the carved inscription O, ENTER YE HIS GATES WITH PRAISE. The stone walls which support the timber superstructure are formed of ashlar with a carved pier at each corner and chamfered coping along their length. The main body of the walls have inset flint panels. On the roadside there is a pair of rustic timber gates supported on wrought iron strap hinges. On the north side wall there is a stone tablet which carries the carved inscription TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN HUMBLE THANKFULNESS FOR HIS GREAT MERCY IN GRANTING US PEACE NOV 11TH 1918 - JUN 28TH 1919. Above the tablet there is a small painted timber plaque which records that the lychgate was re-roofed in 1991.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 29 January 2018.
The lychgate was erected by Messrs Wells and Co of Plumpton in 1920 as a thanksgiving for peace after the Great War. It was funded by Mrs Blackman in memory of her late husband Mr Richard James Blackman who was a sidesman at All Saints Church, and died in October 1918.
The memorial lychgate in the churchyard of All Saints Church, Plumpton Green, of 1920, is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* funded by Mrs Blackman in memory of her late husband Mr Richard James Blackman who died in October 1918, the lych-gate carries a poignant message of thanks for the enduring peace that had passed since Armistice Day.
* a well-crafted timber lych-gate, built with good quality materials, reflecting the local vernacular tradition.
* with the adjacent Plumpton Green War Memorial (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings