This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1323 / 51°7'56"N
Longitude: -2.2219 / 2°13'18"W
OS Eastings: 384566
OS Northings: 137029
OS Grid: ST845370
Mapcode National: GBR 1VX.WKP
Mapcode Global: VH97V.FSQT
Entry Name: Kingston Deverill War Memorial
Listing Date: 26 January 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1451463
Location: Kingston Deverill, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Kingston Deverill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
First World War memorial, unveiled 12 July 1931, with Second World War additions.
First World War memorial, 1931, with Second World War additions.
DESCRIPTION: The memorial is located in the churchyard to the south-west of the Grade II*-listed Church of St Mary, close to the southern boundary wall and near to the Grade II-listed Young Monument.
It takes the form of a tall, Latin cross of Doulting stone rising from a square plinth surmounting a three-stepped base. The inscriptions and names are incised to bronze plaques affixed to the east and west faces of the plinth.
The principal inscription is to the east face and reads, 1914-1918/ THEIR NAMES LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE/ (7 NAMES)/ OF THIS PARISH.
A second inscription dedicated to those killed in the Second World War is to the west face, 1939-1945/ (5 NAMES).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was erected in Kingston Deverill as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled by the Duke of Somerset and dedicated by Bishop Randolph (Dean of Salisbury) on Sunday 12 July 1931 in a large ceremony arranged by the local branch of the Royal British Legion. The cost of the memorial was £30 which was met by public subscription. It commemorates the seven servicemen from the villages of Kingston Deverill and Monkton Deverill who died in the First World War.
Five names were added to the memorial following the Second World War to commemorate those who died in that conflict.
Kingston Deverill War Memorial, which is situated in St Mary’s churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* a well-executed Latin cross memorial.
* with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Mary and the Grade II-listed Young Monument in the churchyard.
Other nearby listed buildings