This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.256 / 51°15'21"N
Longitude: -0.6732 / 0°40'23"W
OS Eastings: 492686
OS Northings: 151600
OS Grid: SU926516
Mapcode National: GBR FC6.4MQ
Mapcode Global: VHFVD.8PZH
Entry Name: Wyke and Normandy War Memorial Cross
Listing Date: 25 January 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1452395
Location: Normandy, Guildford, Surrey, GU3
Civil Parish: Normandy
Built-Up Area: Flexford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
First World War memorial cross, with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Granite wheel cross with lead lettering.
DESCRIPTION: Normandy war memorial is located on the north side of Guildford Road, at the junction with Hunts Hill Road. It comprises a tall granite wheel-head cross rising from a tapering plinth, square on plan, with a two-stepped base. The inscriptions are in metal lettering painted black, located on the plinth and steps.
The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY OF/ THE INHABITANTS OF WYKE AND NORMANDY/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ “WHO DIES IF ENGLAND LIVE”/ (NAMES). The two side faces of the plinth carry further names: those that served in the Royal Navy and Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment are grouped together, whilst the remaining soldiers of other regiments and corps are recorded together.
The front face of the top step is inscribed THE ROLL OF HONOUR OF WYKE AND NORMANDY PARISH/ 1939 – 1945, with the commemorated Second World War names recorded on the front face of the lower step and the sides of both steps.
The memorial stands in a small area of crazy-paving, enclosed by posts carrying a chain.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Normandy as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 35 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The plot of land on which the memorial stands was leased from the War Office by the Parish Council in 1921, and the memorial had been erected before 1923 (in which year a local newspaper reported on a commemorative service marking the anniversary of its unveiling).
Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the 21 local servicemen who died in that conflict. In 2015 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
Wyke and Normandy War Memorial, which stands at the junction of Guildford Road and Hunts Hill Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* A tall and imposing granite wheel-head war memorial in the Celtic style, in the manner of a wayside cross.
Other nearby listed buildings