History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilham War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Kilham, East Riding of Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0643 / 54°3'51"N

Longitude: -0.3754 / 0°22'31"W

OS Eastings: 506422

OS Northings: 464372

OS Grid: TA064643

Mapcode National: GBR TPTF.JT

Mapcode Global: WHGD6.63HK

Plus Code: 9C6X3J7F+PR

Entry Name: Kilham War Memorial

Listing Date: 22 March 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1452949

Location: Kilham, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Kilham

Built-Up Area: Kilham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Summary


First World War memorial of 1921 with alterations after the Second World War.

Description

First World War memorial of 1921 with alterations after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

PLAN: and octagonal shaft and tapering square plinth, on a three-stepped base.

DESCRIPTION: The memorial takes the form of a stone wheel cross on a tapered octagonal shaft. This surmounts a tapered stone plinth with inset panels and a cornice.
The north face of the plinth features an incised inscription, which reads: ERECTED BY/ PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION/ IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919/ LEST WE FORGET. The east and west faces contain the incised names of the Fallen. Set in front of the memorial is a sandstone open book shaped tablet with an incised inscription that reads: 1939-1945/ (NAMES).

The memorial stands on two stone steps, with a third concrete step and concrete raft base.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, as a result both of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities, and of the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Kilham War Memorial commemorates 20 local servicemen who died during the First World War. It was unveiled on Sunday 24 July 1921, by Colonel C H Pearce, in the churchyard of the Church of All Saints, paid for with funds raised by local residents. The hymn ‘Soldiers of Christ arise’ was sung, and the ex-service men of the village paraded in honour of their fallen comrades. Brigadier-General J H Bateson also spoke at the dedication. The ceremony was concluded with Bugler Wright sounding the ‘Last Post’ and the ‘Reveille’ after which relatives placed wreaths on the monument.

An open book shaped tablet was added to the memorial following the Second World War.

The memorial benefited from a War Memorials Trust Grant in 2016 for cleaning and preservation, improving the legibility of the inscription and names.

Reasons for Listing

Kilham War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of All Saints’ Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:
* an elegantly proportioned wheel cross memorial, displaying good detailing with artistic carving.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.