History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Twigworth War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Twigworth, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8938 / 51°53'37"N

Longitude: -2.2309 / 2°13'51"W

OS Eastings: 384209

OS Northings: 221719

OS Grid: SO842217

Mapcode National: GBR 1KT.6TF

Mapcode Global: VH945.8NZL

Entry Name: Twigworth War Memorial

Listing Date: 20 March 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1454541

Location: Twigworth, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Twigworth

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Summary

War memorial, erected in 1920, with added commemoration for the Second World War.

Description

War memorial, erected in 1920, with added commemoration for the Second World War.

MATERIAL
Carved from Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION
The war memorial stands within the churchyard, to the north-east of the church (unlisted) and is in the form of a stone Calvary with a sculpted figure of Christ under a canopy hood. There are carved floral motifs at intervals on the shaft and also two shields, with a chalice inscribed on one and ‘IHS’ on the other. The shaft rises from a hexagonal plinth that stands on a four-stepped base which is also hexagonal. The front (north) of the plinth is inscribed in Arts and Crafts-inspired Serif font: IN MEMORY / OF THE MEN / OF THIS PARISH / WHO GAVE THEIR / LIVES FOR THEIR / COUNTRY DURING / THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1918. The names of the Fallen are recorded on two sides of the plinth, while the rear face is inscribed: 1939-1945 / (NAMES).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was erected at Twigworth, within the churchyard of the mid-C19 Church of St Matthew, to commemorate the 15 local men who lost their lives during the First World War. It was carved by sculptor Arthur Frith of Gloucester, and the dedication ceremony by the Bishop of Gloucester took place on Sunday 19 September 1920. Following the Second World War a further inscription was added to the war memorial.

The war poet and composer, Ivor Gurney (1890-1937), who was born in Gloucester is buried in the churchyard.

Reasons for Listing

Twigworth War Memorial in the churchyard of St Matthew’s Church is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:
* As a well-executed and finely-detailed commemorative structure in the form of a Calvary;

Historic interest:
* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.