This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0592 / 53°3'33"N
Longitude: -0.2812 / 0°16'52"W
OS Eastings: 515290
OS Northings: 352714
OS Grid: TF152527
Mapcode National: GBR GRJ.7R3
Mapcode Global: WHHL6.NCBK
Entry Name: North Kyme War Memorial
Listing Date: 26 June 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1455419
Location: North Kyme, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4
District: North Kesteven
Civil Parish: North Kyme
Built-Up Area: North Kyme
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
First World War memorial, unveiled 10 October 1920.
First World War memorial, 1920.
DESCRIPTION: North Kyme War Memorial is located in the churchyard to the north-west of the Grade II-listed Church of St Luke. It stands adjacent to the boundary wall within a square enclosure bounded by metal railings.
It is of polished, grey granite and takes the form of an obelisk rising from a tall, four-sided plinth surmounting a two-stepped, chamfered, square base. The plinth has a pedimented cap with a moulded cornice beneath.
The principal inscription and names are to the north-west face of the plinth in leaded lettering. The inscription begins in the pediment of the cap and reads, ERECTED BY/ THE PARISHIONERS IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES. This is continued directly below to the main body of the plinth, FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS”/ (14 NAMES).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at North Kyme as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 14 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. Initial proposals included replacing the old Butter Cross with a memorial to the fallen; however, this was turned down in a meeting on 20 December 1919 and following further debate the churchyard was chosen as the location for the memorial. It was unveiled on 10 October 1920 by local landowner, the 14th Earl of Winchelsea and Nottingham, Guy Montagu George Finch-Hatton and dedicated by the Vicar, Reverend John Milner and the Wesleyan Minister, Reverend W H Wardle.
North Kyme War Memorial, which is situated in St Luke’s churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.
* a well-executed obelisk memorial.
* with the Grade II-listed Church of St Luke.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.