This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3929 / 52°23'34"N
Longitude: 0.9997 / 0°59'59"E
OS Eastings: 604204
OS Northings: 281442
OS Grid: TM042814
Mapcode National: GBR SG3.TVT
Mapcode Global: VHKCQ.83WY
Entry Name: South Lopham War Memorial
Listing Date: 24 July 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1455851
Location: South Lopham, Breckland, Norfolk, IP22
Civil Parish: South Lopham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
First World War memorial, unveiled on 2 October 1921, with Second World War additions.
First World War memorial, 1921, with Second World War additions.
DESCRIPTION: South Lopham War Memorial is located on a triangular green at the junction of The Street (A1066) with Church Road. It is in close proximity to several Grade II-listed buildings including Nos 1-2 The Street, Nos 4-5 The Street, and the White Horse public house.
The memorial is of Portland stone and takes the form of a cross fleurée on a tapering, octagonal shaft with a moulded collar. The shaft foot, square on plan, is ornamented with small foliage carvings at the corners and a moulded base.
The cross rises from a four-sided capped and corniced pedestal. Foliage designs are carved in low relief on the sloping surfaces of the cap. The pedestal stands on a two-stepped base. A rifle is carved in low relief on the chamfered edge of the bottom step, to the south-east side.
Each face of the pedestal bears rectangular stone panels with concave corners. Above the panel to the south-east face are relief carvings of a small laurel wreath between crossed and painted Union Flags. Within that panel is the principal inscription and names in incised lettering, painted black, which reads IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF SOUTH LOPHAM/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914-1918./ (NAMES). Directly below, within a recessed panel on the upper-step of the base, are the words THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.
The Second World War dedication was added to the panel on the south-west face, also in incised lettering, painted black, reading IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF SOUTH LOPHAM/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY IN THE/ WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
The whole stands within a square gravelled area enclosed by eight stone posts carrying a spiked chain.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at South Lopham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 10 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. A total of about 100 men served from the parish from a population of 449 people. The memorial was unveiled by Prince Frederick Duleep Singh on 2 October 1921 and dedicated by the Rector, the Reverend C J Eastwood. It cost around £200 with the money raised via public subscription. The work was carried out by Messrs J Cooley and Son of Diss, who also made the war memorial at the nearby village of Bressingham, which is Grade II-listed.
Following the Second World War, the names of two casualties were added to the memorial. A third name was added later in 2011.
South Lopham War Memorial, which is situated at the junction of The Street (A1066) with Church Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* an elegant example of the cross fleurée type of war memorial demonstrating fine craftsmanship with the relief carved details to the plinth.
* with the Grade II-listed buildings: Nos 1-2 The Street, Nos 4-5 The Street, and the White Horse public house.
Other nearby listed buildings