This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9805 / 52°58'49"N
Longitude: -0.5611 / 0°33'39"W
OS Eastings: 496708
OS Northings: 343536
OS Grid: SK967435
Mapcode National: GBR DPG.2ZF
Mapcode Global: WHGKB.CB2Y
Plus Code: 9C4XXCJQ+5H
Entry Name: West Willoughby War Memorial
Listing Date: 11 July 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1456889
Location: Ancaster, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
Civil Parish: Ancaster
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
First World War memorial with later additions.
First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: timber calvary cross, bronze figure, brick base.
DESCRIPTION: West Willoughby War Memorial is located on Willoughby Road on a site edged by hedging.
It consists of a slim cross with a figure of Christ on its front face. Below this is an oak shield with gilt lettering. The inscription reads REMEMBER/ WITH THANKSGIVING THE/ MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN TWO WORLD/ WARS/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE.
The cross rises on a small brick three-stepped base.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at West Willoughby as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It is uncertain when the war memorial was erected.
Reminiscent of the Roman Catholic shrines found on the Western Front, such as those at Neuve Chapelle and Bazentin la Petit, the war memorial at West Willoughby is in the form of a decorated crucifix. It is located near the former South Lodge entrance once leading to West Willoughby Hall. It commemorates 12 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the seven fallen of that conflict.
In 1978 the memorial was found to be in a poor state of repair by ex-serviceman Mr Harold Evitts of Grantham, aged 84, who had been a Japanese prisoner of war. He refurbished the memorial. In 2003 the memorial was repaired and repainted and a new oak name-plaque created by Messrs James Nettelberry of Ancaster.
West Willoughby War Memorial, which is situated on Willoughby Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.
* as an elegant and well-executed calvary cross.
Other nearby listed buildings