This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6866 / 54°41'11"N
Longitude: -3.4696 / 3°28'10"W
OS Eastings: 305357
OS Northings: 533385
OS Grid: NY053333
Mapcode National: GBR 4G67.MS
Mapcode Global: WH5YJ.PG0J
Entry Name: Broughton Moor War Memorial
Listing Date: 3 September 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1457603
Location: Broughton Moor, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA15
Civil Parish: Broughton Moor
Built-Up Area: Broughton Moor
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
First World War memorial, 1921, with Second World War additions.
First World War memorial, 1921.
MATERIALS: grey granite.
DESCRIPTION: Broughton Moor War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Columba’s Church, Church Road, Broughton Moor, Cumbria. It is prominently situated by the path leading to the church entrance, and facing the main road passing by. It comprises a Latin grey granite cross with a wreath carved in relief at the centre of the cross head, on a tapering four-sided plinth with a single-stepped square base below. The plinth bears the inscriptions in leaded lettering.
The inscription reads: THIS STONE WAS PLACED HERE BY THE/ INHABITANTS OF BROUGHTON MOOR TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY/ OF THE UNDERMENTIONED 16 MEN OF THE/ VILLAGE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY DURING THE WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ IN LOVING MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Broughton Moor as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Broughton Moor War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates 16 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and 10 men who fell in the Second World War. A faculty was granted for the memorial’s erection in May 1920 and it was built by Thomas Preston. The memorial was unveiled 3 July 1921 by Major Dykes of Dovenby Hall.
The Second World War names were added later (including two female civilians killed in an explosion at a nearby RNAD works) and the memorial rededicated by the Secretary of the War Memorial Fund, Thomas A Hayton, on 6 July 1947.
Broughton Moor War Memorial, which is situated in St Columba’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.
* as a simple but well-executed granite cross.
* with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Columba.
Other nearby listed buildings