History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Houghton War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Houghton, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9293 / 54°55'45"N

Longitude: -2.9246 / 2°55'28"W

OS Eastings: 340845

OS Northings: 559792

OS Grid: NY408597

Mapcode National: GBR 8C0F.MS

Mapcode Global: WH7ZX.1CLH

Entry Name: Houghton War Memorial

Listing Date: 3 September 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1457983

Location: Stanwix Rural, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Stanwix Rural

Built-Up Area: Houghton

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922.

Description

First World War memorial, 1922.

MATERIALS: grey granite.

DESCRIPTION: Houghton War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St John’s Church, Brunstock Lane, Houghton, Cumbria. It is prominently situated close to the churchyard entrance and by the path leading to the church entrance. It comprises a wheel-head grey granite cross with a sheathed sword in relief at the head, on a short shaft, two-tiered plinth and two-stepped base. The plinth and upper step of the base bear the inscriptions in relief and incised lettering.

The inscription reads: 1914 – 1918/ IN HONOUR OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Houghton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Houghton War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates 32 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. It was made by the prolific monumental masons of Carlisle, Messrs Beattie and Co. The memorial was unveiled in April 1922.

Reasons for Listing

Houghton War Memorial, which is situated in St John’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed granite cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Church of St John and the Grade II-listed The Lodge.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.