History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thurston War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Thurston, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2517 / 52°15'6"N

Longitude: 0.824 / 0°49'26"E

OS Eastings: 592865

OS Northings: 265259

OS Grid: TL928652

Mapcode National: GBR RG8.Z05

Mapcode Global: VHKD6.7NHQ

Entry Name: Thurston War Memorial

Listing Date: 12 September 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1458772

Location: Thurston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Thurston

Built-Up Area: Thurston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Description

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Forest of Dean stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position on the western boundary of the churchyard of the Church of St Peter (Grade II) and facing Church Road. The memorial comprises a Celtic wheel-head cross with tapering shaft on a square two-stepped plinth with a single-stepped base. The arms of the cross are decorated with relief-carved interlace. The memorial is carved from blue Forest of Dean stone and it stands approximately 2.7m high.

The main inscription in incised and black-painted lettering on the lower step of the plinth reads: (west face) “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”/ 1914/ (1 NAME)/ 1915/ (2 NAMES) (north face) 1916/ (3 NAMES)/ 1917/ (1 NAME)/ (south face) 1918/ (5 NAMES) (east face) 1919/ (1 NAME)/ ERECTED IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THURSTON/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY.

An additional inscription on the west face of the cross shaft reads: IN/ MEMORY/ OF/ THOSE WHO/ GAVE THEIR/ LIVES DURING/ 1939 – 1945. Nine further names are incised on the upper step of the plinth.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Thurston as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was erected by Mr A H Hanchet (builder) of Bury St Edmunds and unveiled on Sunday 21 November 1920 by Major E E Pearson.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Reasons for Listing

Thurston War Memorial, which stands in a prominent position on the western boundary of the churchyard of the Church of St Peter (Grade II) and facing Church Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed wheel-head cross with carved decorative details.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Peter (Grade II).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.