This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5894 / 53°35'21"N
Longitude: -2.5749 / 2°34'29"W
OS Eastings: 362043
OS Northings: 410463
OS Grid: SD620104
Mapcode National: GBR BVGY.B1
Mapcode Global: WH97S.F13N
Plus Code: 9C5VHCQG+P2
Entry Name: Blackrod War Memorial
Listing Date: 18 September 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1458902
Location: Blackrod, Bolton, BL6
Civil Parish: Blackrod
Built-Up Area: Blackrod
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
First World War memorial, 1925, with Second World War additions, designed by W Bradley MSA.
War memorial, 1925, with Second World War additions, designed by W Bradley MSA.
MATERIALS: ashlar Stancliffe sandstone
PLAN: rectangular cenotaph set within a square enclosure, formed by two flower borders and paved areas.
DESCRIPTION: the cenotaph consists of an approximately 3.76m (12ft) tall rectangular shaft, with canted surfaces, rising from a pedestal that has a shouldered and moulded upper surface, and a projecting plinth that stands on a rectangular ashlar dais. It is approached from both the front and rear by stone paved areas and is flanked by rectangular flower borders, edged with low stone curbs. The sides of the monument are canted and have plain raised panels with stopped edges at the base, plain friezes and bronze flagpole sockets and brackets. The front (south-west) and rear (north-east) elevations of the shaft, each have a coffered central panel with a fielded tablet, flanked by plain pilasters rising to a frieze, with a depressed pediment. The pediment and frieze to the front are inscribed 1914 – 1918 / TO THE GLORIOUS DEAD and the rear of the pediment is inscribed 1939 – 1945. The front panel records the names of 43 of the Fallen from the First World War and reads: IN / GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF / BLACKROD, / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR // NAMES // THEIR NAME LIVETH / FOR EVERMORE. The rear panel records the names of 19 Fallen from the Second World War and reads: NAMES // LEST / WE / FORGET // NAMES. Two secondary ashlar tablets let into the base of the front of the cenotaph, records the names of a further 22 Fallen from the First World War.
Blackrod War Memorial stands in a prominent position to one side of the Blackrod Cemetery Chapel, within sight of Manchester Road; it was designed by Mr W Bradley MSA of Bolton and it was built by Leonard Fairclough Limited of Adlington. The memorial was dedicated at a service on Sunday 29 March 1925, following a procession lead by the Blackrod Public Prize Band and consisting of a guard of honour of 150 ex-service men, relatives of the Fallen, choirs from the parish church of St Katherine and the Wesleyan Chapel, the clergy, and the War Memorial Committee. The service was conducted by Reverend R W Gordon MA and an address was given by the Chairman of the Council Adam Brindle JP. The memorial was unveiled by Mrs Mary Ann Wilkinson, the oldest mother from Blackrod to have lost a son - Ralph Wilkinson - before four trumpeters from the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment sounded the ‘Last Post’ and one minutes silence was observed. Originally, there were 43 names of the Fallen from the First World War recorded on the south-west face of the memorial, but following the Second World War, 19 names were added to the north-east face. Following further research, the names of a further 22 Fallen of the First World War were added in July 2016.
Blackrod War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.Architectural interest:
* it is a dignified war memorial, executed in good quality materials, with careful attention to its form and detailing, which is a fitting tribute to the Fallen from both World Wars.
Other nearby listed buildings