History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Braiseworth War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Braiseworth, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3028 / 52°18'10"N

Longitude: 1.1277 / 1°7'39"E

OS Eastings: 613343

OS Northings: 271792

OS Grid: TM133717

Mapcode National: GBR TJR.PXM

Mapcode Global: VHL9M.HDJ0

Entry Name: Braiseworth War Memorial

Listing Date: 18 September 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1459054

Location: Braiseworth, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Braiseworth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Summary

War memorial. Erected, following the First World War, in 1921. A further inscription was added after the Second World War.

Description

War memorial. Erected, following the First World War, in 1921. A further inscription was added after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: carved from Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: The memorial is situated in the churchyard of the redundant Church of St Mary, north-west of the former church. It comprises a Celtic cross set on a tapering shaft and trapezoidal plinth, together about 2.5m high. The front (west) face of the shaft is inscribed in incised lettering: TO THE/ GLORY OF/ GOD,/ AND IN/ HONOURED/ MEMORY OF/ THE MEN/ OF/ BRAISEWORTH/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR/ COUNTRY/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ AND THE WAR/ 1939-1945. On the front face of the plinth are five names below which is the inscription in incised lettering: GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised in the churchyard at Braiseworth as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled during a memorial service on 10 April 1921 by Major R N G Bingley and dedicated by Reverend E F Bingley, Rector of Thornham Magna. A commemorative inscription to those parishioners who fell during the Second World War was subsequently added to the memorial. The Church of St Mary (Grade II-listed, National Heritage List for England 1032267), in whose churchyard the memorial stands, was constructed in 1857 and replaced a medieval church. It was declared redundant in the 1970s and is now a private residence.

Reasons for Listing

Braiseworth War Memorial, built in 1921 in the churchyard of the former Church of St Mary, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;

Architectural interest:
* as an elegant and well-crafted memorial, including a Celtic cross set on a tapering shaft and plinth carved from Portland stone;

Group value:
* with the adjacent Grade II-listed former Church of St Mary.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.