This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9022 / 51°54'7"N
Longitude: -1.6921 / 1°41'31"W
OS Eastings: 421280
OS Northings: 222670
OS Grid: SP212226
Mapcode National: GBR 4Q9.R0P
Mapcode Global: VHBZC.MG94
Entry Name: Icomb War Memorial
Listing Date: 4 February 2019
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1461781
Location: Icomb, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Icomb
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
A First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.
A First World War memorial, erected in the early 1920s, with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: the memorial is constructed of stone with a brass plaque.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross with a tapering shaft, rising from a two-stepped, square base. There is a brass plaque bearing an inscribed dedication affixed to the front (north) face of the shaft. The plaque reads 1914-1918/ (NAMES & REGIMENTS)/ 1939-1945/ (NAMES & REGIMENTS).
The memorial is set on a raised, grassed quadrilateral plot with a planted bed and stone kerbing along its border.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Icomb as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First (and later Second) World War.
The memorial is likely to have been erected at some point during the early 1920s, although the precise date is unknown. It was originally enclosed by a post and chain fence and stood on a triangular grass island at the junction of two roads at the centre of the village. By February 1930 improvements to the memorial’s setting were being discussed, with suggestions to enclose the quadrilateral piece of grass with oak posts and chains and a concrete kerb. The District and County Councils approved these proposals in April 1930. Further names were subsequently added to the memorial following the Second World War. The posts and chains surrounding the memorial have since been removed, the concrete kerbing has been replaced with stone and the area on which the memorial stands has also decreased in size.
Icomb War Memorial, erected during the early 1920s, is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* as a poignant reminder of the sacrifice made by the parish of Icomb during the global conflicts of the C20.
* as a modest but well carved memorial taking the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross with a tapering shaft on a two-stepped square base.
* the memorial is situated directly adjacent to The Old Post Office, Corner Cottage and Home Farmhouse and Adjoining Stable Block (all Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings