History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Howle Hill War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Howle Hill, County of Herefordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8811 / 51°52'51"N

Longitude: -2.5743 / 2°34'27"W

OS Eastings: 360563

OS Northings: 220435

OS Grid: SO605204

Mapcode National: GBR FS.RL1M

Mapcode Global: VH86J.BZFB

Entry Name: Howle Hill War Memorial

Listing Date: 24 January 2019

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1461809

Location: Walford, County of Herefordshire, HR9

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Walford

Built-Up Area: Howle Hill

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Summary


A First World War memorial, unveiled 1920; altered after the Second World War.

Description

A First World War memorial, unveiled 1920; altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: granite, bronze.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands by a crossroads to the south of the main settlement of Howle Hill.

The memorial comprises a short, roughly-hewn granite cross on a single-stepped base. A Latin cross is carved into the front (south-west) face of the memorial, beneath which is a bronze plaque. A second smaller bronze plaque is attached to the front of the base of the memorial.

The main inscription on the bronze plaque attached to the cross reads: IN HONOUR / OF THE MEN OF HOWLE HILL / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES AND THOSE / WHO FOUGHT OVERSEAS IN / THE WAR 1914 – 1919 / THE FALLEN followed by 13 names of those who were lost. Below this is inscribed: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE / THOSE WHO FOUGHT OVERSEAS followed by an additional 38 names to commemorate those who fought.

An additional inscription on a bronze plaque attached to the base of the memorial reads: 1939 – 1945 followed by the six names of those who fell in the Second World War.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Howle Hill, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

It was designed by Alfred William Ursell and unveiled on Sunday 4 July 1920. It was originally located close to the now-redundant Church of St John (1875) in the dispersed village of Howle Hill. Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the men who fell in that conflict.

It is unknown why the memorial was moved to its present position. The war memorial was restored in 2016 following a grant from War Memorials Trust.

Reasons for Listing

Howle Hill War Memorial is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its reflection of the rural character of the area, and its carving by a local craftsman.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.