History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashperton War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashperton, County of Herefordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0738 / 52°4'25"N

Longitude: -2.5211 / 2°31'15"W

OS Eastings: 364383

OS Northings: 241838

OS Grid: SO643418

Mapcode National: GBR FV.CF8C

Mapcode Global: VH85S.842L

Entry Name: Ashperton War Memorial

Listing Date: 16 January 2019

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1461875

Location: Ashperton, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Ashperton

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Summary


War memorial, erected in around 1920.

Description

War memorial, erected in around 1920.

MATERIALS: constructed of granite. The inscriptions are of metal lettering.

DESCRIPTION: located on the village green the war memorial comprises a three-stepped, octagonal base surmounted by an octagonal Latin cross with broach stops to the base of the shaft. The arms of the cross are slightly splayed.

To the south-west face of the top two steps is the inscription THE GREAT WAR / 1914–1919.

The top step of each of the other three sides is inscribed with the name of the parish ASHPERTON, CANON-FFROME or STRETTON-GRANDISON AND EGGLETON. Beneath are the names of the men from each parish who died during the First World War.

A stone plaque has been added to the bottom step of these three sides with the dates 1939-45 and the names of the men from each parish who died during the Second World War.

History

The great age of memorial building was in the aftermath of the First World War with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Ashperton War Memorial was erected in about 1920 and commemorates 28 local servicemen from the parishes of Ashperton, Canon Frome and Stretton-Grandison and Eggleton who died during the First World War. Additional stone plaques have been added to commemorate the five men from these parishes who died during the Second World War.

Reasons for Listing

Ashperton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* for its compositional design as an accomplished and well-realised Latin cross.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First and Second World Wars.

Group value:

* with four Grade II-listed C17 and C18 timber-framed houses that are within close proximity to the war memorial.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.