History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Martins War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in St Martin's, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9245 / 52°55'28"N

Longitude: -3.0076 / 3°0'27"W

OS Eastings: 332357

OS Northings: 336820

OS Grid: SJ323368

Mapcode National: GBR 75.MV7W

Mapcode Global: WH89J.SR0C

Entry Name: St Martins War Memorial

Listing Date: 13 March 2019

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1462112

Location: St. Martin's, Shropshire, SY11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: St. Martin's

Built-Up Area: St Martin's

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Summary


First World War memorial, unveiled 1923, with later additions for the Second World War.

Description

First World War memorial, unveiled 1923, with later additions for the Second World War.

PLAN: the memorial stands on the north side of Overton Road within a square enclosure.

MATERIALS: it is constructed from red sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a stone Celtic cross with knotwork design on the cross head, with a tapered shaft and plinth, and a two-stepped base.

The south face of the shaft is recessed and bears an incised inscription which reads ‘ERECTED / IN / GRATEFUL / MEMORY / OF THE MEN / OF / ST MARTINS / WHO / LAID DOWN / THEIR LIVES / IN THE / GREAT / WAR’. The foot of the cross shaft is incised 1914-1919. The south face of the plinth is recessed and lists the names of the 41 fallen from the First World War. Part of the south face of the top step of the base is cut at an angle and reads ‘1939 – 1945 / (7 NAMES). Below is the inscription ‘SEE TO IT THAT THEY SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN’. A black marble tablet reading ‘IN COMMEMORATION OF THE / 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF / VE AND VJ DAY / 1945 – 1995 / ST MARTINS PARISH COUNCIL’ abuts the south face of the upper step of the base.

The memorial stands on a concrete platform enclosed by modern metal railings.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England.  This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, meaning that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at St Martins as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

St Martins War Memorial, built by Mr Lewis, was unveiled on 25 February by Brigadier General JV Campbell and dedicated by local clergy. It records the names of the 41 parishioners killed in the conflict, including, unusually, a woman: Sister Euginie Teggin.

Following the Second World War the names of the fallen from that conflict were added to the memorial. In 1995 a marble tablet commemorating the 50th anniversary of Victory in Europe and Victory in Japan days was added to the memorial.

Reasons for Listing

St Martins War Memorial is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-composed memorial with good quality decorative detailing, which survives unaltered.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.