History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eakring War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Eakring, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1524 / 53°9'8"N

Longitude: -0.9918 / 0°59'30"W

OS Eastings: 467517

OS Northings: 362174

OS Grid: SK675621

Mapcode National: GBR 9GS.835

Mapcode Global: WHFH6.Q1W3

Entry Name: Eakring War Memorial

Listing Date: 3 May 2019

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1462821

Location: Eakring, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Eakring

Built-Up Area: Eakring

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Summary


First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1919.

Description

First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1919.

MATERIALS: of granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position on a large, sloping bank at the entrance to the Church St Andrew (listed Grade II*), around 15m to the north-west of the north porch.

The memorial, which stands some 2.5m high, comprises a Celtic wheel-head cross set atop a shaft which tapers in rectangular section from a roughly-hewn trapezoidal plinth. The west (front) face of the wheel-head is decorated with interlaced ornamentation in low relief while the polished cross shaft has three blind panels raised in low relief. On the north, south and west sides of the plinth are polished, recessed panels which hold the lead inscriptions. The west (front) face contains the principal dedicatory inscription which reads 'ERECTED IN TOKEN OF / GRATITUDE TO GOD / FOR VICTORY AND TO THE / HONOUR OF THE MEN OF / EAKRING WHO SERVED / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1918' and the names of the 12 men who died. On the north face are the names of five men who were wounded and eight men who served, while the south face contains the names of a further 27 men who served.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Eakring as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 12 men of the parish who died during the conflict along with the five who were wounded and the 27 men who served and returned. It was unveiled and dedicated in May 1919 in the grounds of the Church of St Andrew (listed Grade II*).

As Eakring suffered no losses of life during the Second World War the memorial stands unaltered.

Reasons for Listing

Eakring War Memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1919, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross and survives unaltered.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Andrew (listed Grade II*).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.